Thursday 17 April 2014

When It Comes To A Figment


When it comes to education, the only thing I can say is that it needs to be well-founded, thought-provoking and, most of all, a component of self-discovery. And so when I come face to face with the end of an incredible stream of learning, I can only tell you that the disappointment that it has actually ended can only be redeemed with the fact that everything I learned changed me just a little more. And every change I went through brought me just a little closer to that idea of discovering my individuality.

Now here I stand at the end of this road in this state of mixed emotion, turning over every thought inside my head in an attempt to create something worth what I have learned. Tasked with creating my own installation to blanket all my learnings, I find myself at a loss over exactly what to do, because I do not wish to disappoint neither my audience, nor my own self.

And then I think, the best way to proceed is to take what you know, what you have learned and, most importantly, what you are good at, in order to create something that you would ultimately be satisfied with. And as I ponder over exactly how to go about this, I can’t help but think – I like words.

I like words and this is nothing new for me. I’ve grown up around words. I was brought up listening to stories of action, adventure, and fantasy, spanning all throughout this entire world of fairytale endings and once upon a times. I started reading quite young and made my books my refuge and safety. With so many alphabetical permutations swimming all across my childhood, my like for words grew into a strong, affectionate love… and so did my hand with writing. Writing became my way of expression, my outlet, my method of communication. It became another home.

From my bed in my tiny little home to my spot in the corner of my dingy high school classroom, I found myself falling more and more in love with this wonderful medium of illustration. With this in mind, I found a like-minded soul in Tushar Pant and together; we decided to create something that showed exactly how expansive our love for language was.

Our worlds are an interwoven web of words, with threads of expression floating from end to end, stitching thought, idea and perspective into a patchwork quilt that can never come undone. Every single being is one that is built on the foundation of the alphabet, and as a human I am surrounded by figments of imagination formed through careful construction.

And it is this that finally soothes our weary minds. The idea of a tiny figment comprised of letter after letter after letter, stringing together to form words and then sentences and then entire beings altogether. We imagine tiny little pouches that burst open to create a breathtaking overflow of expression, and this is exactly what we are determined to bring to life.

I am a figment. You are a figment. Every thing you see, every thing you experience is a figment of construct with its own story to tell.

We call them figments. We call them bundles of imagination. We call them our dreams come true.

And so we begin.

A handful of words, giving rise to a meaning, fitted into constraints that can never really hold them, building and building till they become something so incredibly beautiful.


     



 Not just in their aesthetic, but also in the way they capture every person’s mind, in their engagement, in their attention. The monumentality tied under every ribbon, coming undone to become something breathtaking – at least in my captured mind.

I like words - I like words and this is nothing new for me.

I only hope I’ve helped everybody else like words too.



In a little corner
All by myself
In the hustle and bustle of the world
I sit excited.
Like a child on Christmas morning
Curious, enchanted,
Opening my little
Bundles of imagination.






No comments:

Post a Comment